Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Reprieve...

Some days the nicest thing that can happen is that something gets cancelled. Today it was our monthly service at Local Auxiliary Hospital. They have flu, running rampant, and are in quarantine. I am sorry about those who are sick and I wish them speedy and comfortable recovery. But I am glad that this afternoon I could stay at my desk.

The renovations of Small Kitchen adjacent to our offices are all but complete...we are happily hurling our teacups and coffee mugs into the new dishwasher...we have new pale green paint and pale green countertops, fresh painted white cabinets, crisp new white curtains; the microwave has its own little "aerie" -- the fridge has been "reamed out" -- nothing in there now but food and drink, all the "science projects" have gone to the garbage! A great pleasure to use, blessings on the retired men who have done the work.

Book study tonight, on chapter three of Sam Wells's Power & Passion. Good group and good discussion, untroubled by the semiprofessional theatre group practising John Denver repertoire in the adjacent space. The consensus seems to be that Wells was a little too hard on Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus. We did identify the position or the habit of mind that he is arguing AGAINST...laudably. But his adjustment of these two figures to his thesis was... Procrustean, if that's the word I want.

I even managed to get out and buy what felt like a ton of cat-litter over the supper hour. It's in Harriet's trunk, improving traction no doubt.

Time to turn out the lights and go home.

1 comment:

RevDrKate said...

Cancellation and renovation...lovely things those! I tagged you for a meme if you have the urge to play. Rules at my place.