Monday, October 13, 2008

sequelae

...and they have all gone home, replete.

And the fridge is full of enticing aluminum-foil-swathed masses of things which will become sandwiches for the inner city mission and/or SOOP for the rummaging hordes...


We had 38 souls, all sorts and conditions. And they all visited nicely with each other, and laughed and laughed. And stayed to the bitter, bitter end, until the last pot and spoon and fork were washed and put away.

When the teenagers and post-teenagers we NEVER see at other times came sloping into the kitchen, "Can I help?" -- I said, "Yes, please, go and check the situation in the dining-room and if anybody is sitting alone in the corner looking sad and mouldy, or moldy, GO VISIT WITH THEM." And they laughed, and did.

And the young man who brought the pumpkin ale...is a professional brewmaster (isn't God good to us?)

I am pooped, dear friends, I am going home to bed.

6 comments:

Kathryn said...

Phew...when I read your earlier post, I somehow got hold of the idea that you had the world and his wife to entertain at home! I'm so glad it turned out to be at church and that everyone rallied round in all respects. I love the thought of those lumpen teens making a difference to any lame dogs at the feast :-)
Hope you slept well!

Stealthy Dachshund said...

Have you posted the story about how this tradition came to be?

Including the "Get another turkey" comment from Mr. Taylor?

Mavis said...

Pumpkin ale. Now there's a great idea... Hope you slept well!

Jan said...

Hope you're getting all rested up.

Terri said...

sounds like a perfect day, a day of great Thanks-giving!

Julie said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! Pumpkin ale sounds intriguing. I just LOVE Thanksgiving! Get some rest...you deserve it. :)