Tuesday, November 30, 2010

surprise...




Good news! or gnus! (see above)

I am still alive...and meditating a return to bloggery. I have been many many many miles since the last post on this blog, and the effect of the cross-country to and fro reminds me of a jest of my youth.

For years my mother employed a wonderful Finnish woman as housekeeper. We learned that English as spoken by Finnish people has certain neat features...one was the tendency to drop an initial consonant (especially "T") preceding a liquid ("L" or "R"). Hence for our Aili, people who were moving about geographically were " 'ravelling"...

And I have been much 'ravelled in the last two months.

Isn't it odd that "ravel" and "unravel" mean exactly the same thing... Huh.

So to give you the gist -- in the last eight weeks I've flown to the west coast and back; I've driven into the heart of Central Canada, and back (8,000 kilometres roughly = 5,000 miles), and I've flown into Central Canada and back...

And thought, and thought, and thought...

More, anon.

It's good to be home.

2 comments:

Terri said...

not to mention your trip to WI...I'm about to 'ravel west, heading to Seattle to lead a conference...

Crimson Rambler said...

that's true, Terri, I remembered the WI trip later but that was back in August, "eons" ago!!! And at the moment I'm brooding more about the "state of the nation" north of the 49th...
Safe travels to Seattle. When I was little it was kind of the Promised Land destination for me, I had a great-aunt in Renton whom we used to drive down to visit at Easter...heaven.